This soup is slightly spicy, fresh and delightful. Its a little bit involved to make but It’s one of the most rewarding, satisfying and healthiest soups you can eat and worth the effort. You have the choice of keeping it vegetarian or adding tender chicen. It starts with a home made curry, a purée of herbs, like cilantro, lemon grass root, fresh ginger , turmeric, whole garlic cloves and shallots, joined with vegetable or chicken broth and coconut milk as it’s base. The rest is the topping of fresh ingredients over Asian style noodles. It’s a winner in every category for taste, hardiness and pleasure. Plus, the aromatherapy will fill your home with an eatible bouque of scent.
Your grocery list:
* 1 stalk lemongrass, tough outer layer removed, bulb thinly sliced
* 2 - 3 red Thai chilies, or your choice of spicy red pepper, seeded
* 2 shallots, halved
* 8 garlic cloves
* 1 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
* ¼ cup cilantro, stems only
* 1 tablespoon ground coriander
* 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
* 1 teaspoon curry powder
* 2 tablespoons coconut oil
* 2 14-ounce cans unsweetened coconut milk
* 2 cups organic vegetable or chicken broth
* If adding chicken, 1½ pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, halved lengthwise
* 1 pound Chinese egg noodles
* 3 tablespoons fish sauce of substitute with anchovies mashed in 2 tablespoons of soy sauce.
* Himalayan salt
* sliced red onion, bean sprouts, cilantro, lime wedges, chili oil - toppings for serving
1. Thinly sliced lemongrass in a small bowl, then pour ½ cup of boiling water over it and allow to steep for at least 10 minutes. Then remove the lemongrass, reserving the water.
2. Puree the chilies or otter spicy peppers, shallots, garlic, ginger, cilantro stems, coriander, turmeric, curry, and 2 tablespoons of the lemongrass water. Process until smooth, add more lemongrass water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed.
3. In a large pot over medium heat, warm the coconut oil. Add the spicy curry puree you just made, and cook 4-6 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Add the coconut milk and broth. Bring to a boil. If adding chicken, chopped chicken into eatible sized pieces and add to the broth, boil for 10-15 minutes. Reduce the heat to a simmer.
5. Cook the Asian style noodles according to the package directions.
6. Add the fish sauce. Season with salt, if needed. Divide the soup and noodles among bowls and serve with the desired toppings. Enjoy!